Monday, December 28, 2009

Birthday and Christmas

Those two go hand in hand for me! Having your birthday 2 days before Christmas isn't so bad... I am now at the point when combining gifts is encouraged (especially when they come in the form of KitchenAid stand mixers... I'll brag about that later!) but I will always love and appreciate my mom wrapping my gifts in actual birthday paper and making me a normal birthday cake. (leaving the red and green icing behind!)

Looking back at all my birthdays, I have come to realize there are a lot of things that make Christmas birthdays great! 1. Family is in town! 2. Christmas vacations means I have gotten to spend my birthday in some fun places! I will never forget eating "birthday" breakfast with the characters in Disney World! 3. Its the most wonderful time of the year :-) 4. My husband can take me to the Nutcracker...

Which was my wonderful gift from him this year! Gold stars go out to Greg for sitting through a ballet!



Getting ready for the show! Greg was way more interested in the orchestra pit than what was happening on the stage...



The mice... I didn't have the guts to ask for a picture with them.



Greg wanted to take me ice skating at the "Discovery Green" park in downtown Houston, but it was closed due to "unseasonably warm temperatures." Of course. 75 degrees and rainy. December 23rd.
But I had no clue this cool park was in the middle of downtown! Here's a couple pictures.

I had an amazing birthday! And an amazing husband!

Now on to Christmas!

This year, being Greg and I's first meant that a "Christmas schedule" had to be planned! Lucky for us, my family seems to do things early in the day and Greg's side celebrates later in the evening. So on Christmas eve, we made our first stop at Grandma's house.

This year Trey got to be Santa! A Santa with skinny jeans? Is that legal?


Opening presents. Ciara never gives a normal smile.

Neither does Trey.

Grandpa's calendar! It is a tradition to pass around the calendar and see what month and what pictures all of us ended up in!


Looking through my camera, I noticed that I am not the best "photographer." Thank goodness for my sister-in-law Cristie who always takes great pictures! I just might link her blog when she has them up because I am missing all of Greg's family pictures!

But I did get our first "married Christmas" morning!

I woke Greg up at 7:00 am...(hence the coffee) because you just CAN'T sleep in on Christmas! We started the morning off by reading from Luke, the Christmas story. It is so important to remember the true meaning of this holiday as sometimes it can be easily forgotten in the "hustle and bustle"

Greg opening his stocking!

Sour patch kids and a very sleepy Greg.
I wonder how long I can keep these pictures up on my blog... before Greg tells me to take them off!

MJ cd... now I get to hear "Billie Jean" 24/7... what was I thinking??

The Office trivia game!


Barbie Fashion calendar. Perfect for my classroom! (And this will be the only "early morning" picture of me!)


Wireless printer... we have wasted a lot of paper and ink playing with this! haha


Santa heard Greg this year and he finally got his firetruck he has always wanted! Cristie... we are saving this for Tyler! haha!

And drumroll.... Santa heard me this year and brought me an iTouch. I now have way too much technology in a device that is meant to play music! But it is also way too much fun :-)

On our way to my Aunt Julie's house, we spotted Santa... except he wasn't on his sleigh...
And at the Mercer's house later that day, Rowdy (in his classy sweater) opened up his gift from us!


I wanted to throw this one in... Christmas this year would not be complete without a snuggie! Thanks to Greg's Grandma, we can now stay warm AND use the phone, read a book, hold the remote, cheer at a football game...


And for the final picture, as I said in the beginning of this post, here is an example of a sweet combined birthday/Christmas gift...

Yes... a stand mixer... a KitchenAid stand mixer! In the past 2 days I have used it 4 times :-). Thank you Mercer family!!!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year!!
I think my next post will be on some New Years resolutions... I have a lot! :-)


1 comment:

Rachel said...

I am sooo jealous of your mixer! Way back in the day when Aaron and I were putting our registry together ... I added the mixer. Then, Aaron was like "Do you even bake?" And I said, "I would TOTALLY bake with a kitchen aid MIXER!" But, I felt bad for putting such a high priced item on the registry when we needed things like ... everything else. So, I didn't get the mixer ... and NOW I bake all the time! (Well, not all the time ... but way more than I ever have before and I'm actually pretty good at it) So, I REALLY want a mixer now! And I don't think they are ever going to go on sale! BAH!

Your Christmas sounds like sooo much fun! :) Have a great rest of the break! I'm trying not to think about the fact that there is only a few days left to enjoy it. ;-/